The stars aligned for a second year in a row and a trip to Balboa Island with 10 of my nearest and dearest was accomplished. There are a lot of things that have come together in a perfect storm for a trip like this to happen. Eleven moms and fourty-four children. Schedules, emotions, husbands, and babysitters were juggled. It was worth it. The weather was ideal, the beach was beautiful, the food delicious and the location perfect. Our weekend was filled with shopping, beach bumming, food indulgence, jogging along the water, laughter, and late nights. I loved it all. More than all of that, I loved the change I felt in the relationships I have with these women. Conversations about deep emotions, fears, joys, trials, and triumphs. We grew together in our moments of laughter so intense we nearly fell over, we grew in our moments of near insanity while staying up way too late, we even grew in our moments of hurt and forgiveness when apologies were needed. I see these women differently than I did before we embarked this weekend. I love them. I appreciate them. I am grateful for them.
I have been blessed in my life. I've said it before and I will repeat it. I have a Father in Heaven who has given me the gift of friendship everywhere I go. I love those friends from my past and present. I am grateful for you. There was a concern discussed on several occasions this weekend. It was a discussion stemmed from love of those who feel left out. It's a common thread that weaves through communities with so many wonderful families. We discussed our first impressions we felt about each other and how time has a way of sorting out our misunderstandings and the fears we have about personality differences. We talked of things we have said to each other that may have been hurtful and that forgiveness never has an expiration. Not one of of the ladies, including myself, I spent the last 4 days with, is perfect. Each of us has strengths and weaknesses, things to work on and things to teach. These women teach me that imperfections are not a reason to avoid friendship. So reach out and be willing to accept some imperfection. I promise the joys far out weigh the flaws.
Monday, April 18, 2016
Balboa Island
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment