Remember Denise Austin?
This lady was something else. I don't remember looking at her and thinking I wanted to be like her. I do remember thinking it was interesting that she made a living by showing people how to workout. Today, things are no different. The industry has been flooded with men and women with the newest programs, supplements, and diet plans. I'm as guilty as the next guy. I look at some of this stuff and try and mold my life around a health routine that will help me look, well, like Denise Austin. Now, I know I am a novice at this stuff, but I still have an opinion and this is my blog so, there's that.
As a culture, we have lost sight of our goal and purpose for our lives. Ask any wise old person, and they will likely tell you that the most important part of their lives has been their family and friends. So, how does working out and diet link to our priorities? For me I workout because it helps me feel better. My lungs, heart, and er, digestive system work better. These things allow me to be a very active and involved mama to my (not so little) littles. I spent years working out in gym classes, doing crazy routines so that my body became closer and closer to what I thought was the ideal. Problem was, I hated those classes. I wasn't enjoying myself. And nothing ever stuck. No diet and no routine was something I was willing to do long term. And my body never came close to what I envisioned when I did hit my goal weight.
I'm not going to tell you I have yo-yo dieted and struggled with my weight my whole life. I haven't. I have always fallen within the bounds of what the medical world calls normal. I do know a little about imbalance. The imbalance of choosing whatever workout program I was using, over my children. I still do this. I'm not here to tell you I have mastered the balancing act that is parenting. I haven't. I still ditch my kids in the middle of the afternoon to go run a few miles with my friend.
Let's jump to another common, lets call it a trap, called selfie overshare. I am shaking my head as I begin the subject. Social media has given platform for a community of look-at-me-ers. This is not isolated to the workout world, but for the sake of staying on topic, lets talk about the individuals who want us to look at them. All. The. Time. It's annoying. I love looking at the images of adventures people have gone on, or the momentous occasions they celebrate with their families and friends, the funny things that happened when their kids lost sanity for a second, accomplishments, charity work, or athletic successes. I don't love looking at pictures of you posing so that people will tell you how amazing you look. I promise, we will still think you look amazing while we peruse your adventures.
This poor blog post has really taken a turn toward the complaining hasn't it? I'll finish by telling you that you can find joy in your journey to good health. Find what you love to do in the category of exercise. Love your dog? Walk him/her more often or for longer stretches. Love to dance? Take a class, dance in your kitchen, or dance while you're out jogging. I do that. If you truly love the gym, and lifting weights, do your thing. Play basketball, baseball, soccer, football or field hockey as a kid? Be the person who gathers people together and start playing again. Your body is awesome, if you ask it to, it will do amazing things, none of us care if your body looks like Denise Austins, I Promise. But for the love of all that is holy, please stop posting pictures designed only to validate the way you look.
*** for any of you who think that duck lips look ridiculous on everyone except you... you're wrong. Just stop it.

No comments:
Post a Comment