He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still -Lao-Tzu

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Unfinished sentence

I’m not a believer in coincidences.  Only in missed opportunities to realize a blessing.  There are undoubtedly an incalculable  amount of times I have missed out on said blessings.   This weeks blessing was a blog post I read and for the life of me,  I can’t find it again, but it was about a mother who shared her thoughts on yelling at her children.  And the day she realized that she would have missed out on an opportunity that changed the relationship of her and her son, had she succumbed to the urge to yell at him to get back into bed for the umpteenth time.  

Bedtime isn’t usually a smooth ride around here.  Most of time I am on my own, and it’s not a full bucket time of day.  Tonight was no different,  and by the time Jared had gotten out of bed I had:  given each an extra sip of water, revised homework only thought of once a head hit the pillow, answered questions of thumb sucking, wiped a few tears, answered a handful of questions that could have waited until morning, and volunteered to finish coloring a project due the next morning.  So when Jared shuffled into the kitchen as I was finishing dishes, I nearly snapped for him to get his hiney back in bed.  But that little voice in my head shuffled through and pulled out that don’t yell at your kid reminder, and I was blessed to hear, “Mom?  Can I tell you a sentence and you guess the end?”  Sure kiddo.  “Mom, I love you more than the ….”  Stars in the sky?  “No, I love you more than the more than the galaxy.”  I wonder how many of those beauties I have missed out on.  Love you more than the galaxy too my Jared.

1 comment: