When babies are born they seem to know when you aren’t trying hard enough to care for them. Crying endlessly while you try and snuggle them while sitting on the couch or in the rocker. Once you stand and walk and bounce the crying stops. Once you begin to make the effort, they respond. It carried on into toddlerhood. Your 2 year old won’t play with the blocks unless you are by his or her side. And now with my children.
Summer has been quite long this year. And at 115 degrees, boredom can rear it’s ugly head. My kids are generally fantastic independents, since I work from home. But even they can succumb to the grueling days stuck indoors. And so the effort theory creeps into play. Family Fun magazine saves the day on many occasion. (Here you can find a subscription for less than $5 a year!) But today we broke out the cookies and icing. Viola! Happy children. Just needed a little effort.
stinkin' effort. it's the solution to everything isn't it, even our marriages.
ReplyDeletei LOVE family fun. It's the best.
I had to smile when I saw your post....I did one a while ago that was just about the same thing! Can you tell we are sisters??!
ReplyDeletehttp://bakerfamilybuzz.blogspot.com/2010/03/effort-theory.html
It is so true and so worth the effort.