He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still -Lao-Tzu

Monday, December 27, 2010

Hi Ho Hi Ho back on Steroids we go…

I have two asthmatics, and one very healthy child.  Jayce has had it since he was a tiny person and now that he is older we have a handle in his medication.  But Jared…   oh my goodness.  He shows no normal symptoms of an asthmatic.  He seems to be able to breath deeply, but cannot stop the chronic coughing.  Remember last year?  He coughed for months.  I’m not talking a little cough here and there.  ALL NIGHT. EVERY NIGHT.  We tried all kinds of meds, had his tonsils and adenoids removed, slept keeping him sitting upright with a bowl next to him for when he coughed so hard he threw up.  (I know, I know, woe is me.  I’m documenting history here…) 

Once the summer hit (and all things living died, hence no allergies)  The boys slept like babies again minus being stuffed with steroids, creams, and antihistamines.  Winter hit and here we are again.  Doc said to keep up his steroid regimen, but to also put him on OTC Claritin.  Really?  Claritin?  C’mon.  We took the kids tonsils out for crying in the night, you think it’s as simple as Claritin?

MM HMM.  It is. 

Slept like a rock.  For a month.  Until I decided to mess with it again.  Why do I do that?  Oh, it’s working, surely we should mess with it and see if we can screw it up fix it some more.  Two nights of coughing cured me.  Back on all those blessed meds. 

Ok, here’s the thing.  (The point of this novel)  I complain a LOT about everything I have to give my boys for this thing called asthma.  But really, I need to add it to my daily prayers.  Because I wouldn’t have either of my boys anymore, if it weren’t for all of these things that may or may not have horrible side effects.  So….  I LOVE Flovent, I LOVE Pulmicort, I LOVE Hydrocortisone cream, I LOVE Albuterol, I LOVE Immunotherapy drops.  Because I LOVE my boys. 

3 comments:

  1. With you on that one Jules...Amen! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great attitude! Thank goodness for modern medicine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I HATE asthma. Hate hate hate it!!! And Claritin has saved Declan many trips to the ER. I'm especially grateful for the Costco pack!

    ReplyDelete