He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still -Lao-Tzu

Saturday, June 4, 2016

Went up to my favorite spot this morning with my favorite running partner for an 8 mile run.  It's a 2000 ft elevation descent and the views are breathtaking.  Downhill running is the closest I imagine I can get to flying while still on the ground.  There are moments where I come around a corner and I am overwhelmed by the beauty and I love the fast pace of a downhill run.

About a mile in I realized I wasn't properly fueled.  It had been a busy morning and I forgot breakfast.  And it was getting warm pretty fast.  Instead of experiencing my favorite run, I had to use all my physical and mental reserves just to get down the hill.  My music wasn't cutting it for inspiration, and walking wasn't an option.  Then I thought about this week...

I was afforded the opportunity to go to youth conference up at Heber Valley with our stake youth group this week for a few days. It was Jayce's first youth conference.  I loved it.  Our theme was feasting on the words of Christ. It's the church's annual theme this year.  2 Nephi 31:20

"Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and all men. Wherefore if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the words of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father, ye shall have eternal life."

We've recited it each Sunday in Young Women's.  I've heard it my whole life.  But those who taught us and allowed us to feast upon the words of Christ while there, changed my perspective.  It reminded me that scripture study and hearing the words of the prophets and apostles are necessary for our daily "runs".  There are often days when, like the run I had today I have to just get through the day.  But starting the day feasting on the scriptures and feeding my spirit will help me enjoy more moments and build upon the testimony I have.

About 4 miles in I was desperate, turned off my music and quickly found a conference talk to put in my ears as a distraction.  Though I didn't listen to the prophet the rest of the way down, it certainly gave me the boost I needed to keep going.  I am often reminded when I am running that my physical body is not the only part of me that is needed and used. My mind and spirit are just as important to nourish in order to experience a great run.


No comments:

Post a Comment