He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still -Lao-Tzu

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

This boy.  If ever a child's life was represented by a roller coaster, it's this kid.  And it's one of those rides that has triple loops, crazy climbs and death defying drops.  But man is he fun, full of excitement and you just want to get on that ride with him.  He turned 14 this summer, grew about 3 inches in a matter of months, and sometimes I have to double check that there is isn't an intruder in my house due to his lowered voice.  This summer has been one for the record books in so many ways, but I think the most important growth has happened in the last few weeks.

Jayce was able to attend Especially for Youth (EFY) at the BYU Provo campus for a week.  I was a little worried.  The first day he called and said he was ready to come home.  By by day 2, I had to fight for time to talk with him.  He was so busy learning to love 20 other people, and building his relationship with his Savior that I only got snippets of time to chat with him.  When I picked he and his friend Logan up after 6 days, both got solemnly into the car, each ones eyes brimming with tears. The emotion was tangible.  These boys knew that they had experienced something that wasn't going to be replicated in the real world.  They were leaving behind people they connected with on a level you rarely enjoy in your day to day lives.  It was a solid 20 minutes before either of them felt in control enough to speak much.  As the time passed they began to unravel the weeks events, remembering, reliving the adventure.  I learned about each of these youth who touched my sons life for the better. Each with a story and specific traits Jayce loved.  Jayce talked of the example of a boy his own age and how he wanted to learn to live with the joy and gratitude that he showed. Girls that showed respect, both for others and for themselves. A testimony meeting filled with the Spirit. Jayce said they sang with angels that day.  That he loved his Savior, so very much.  He told me how grateful he was to know that Jesus Christ knows our pain and our suffering so He can comfort us.

I never could have hoped for the growth I saw in my son that day.  Even days later he reminds me how grateful he is for the growth in his testimony.  He shares things he learned from the incredible teachers, counselors and friends at EFY, with our family during scripture study and family home evening.  I can't say enough about this program.  His confidence, testimony, knowledge, and his heart have grown, and I love it.  And I love this roller coaster boy.



No comments:

Post a Comment