He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still -Lao-Tzu

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Brother of Jared

Jayce was named partly after his dad.  We liked the name and were running out of J names that we agreed on.   Jared was in the same boat.  (pun, ha ha)  Not my or Jason’s favorite name, but it fit the J theme and we both could deal with it.   My feelings on their names have changed over the years.  I have come to have such a love for the story of the ‘Brother of Jared’ in the scriptures.  It started since I had a Jared and I had a brother of Jared. 

Our stake president  spoke several months ago about this story. (Click here for more info)  He talked about the barges they built to get to the promised land.  Sometimes the wind would blow and the ships would plunge underwater.  Even with the winds blowing all around them and I imagine it must have seemed like they were just floating at the mercy of the sea, but the barges always pushed toward the Promised Land.  He likened that to our lives.   There are moments and days and years even that seem like we are spinning and we are at the mercy of this crazy frenzied world, but when we are given that small glimpse at our life as a whole, we realize we are moving forward.  He explained our trials and tribulations perfectly.  He said it so much better, but I was trying frantically to get it all down. 

Trials are the things that the Lord gives to make us stronger.

Troubles are the things we inflict on ourselves because of choices we make.

Afflictions are things inflicted upon us by the choices of others.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I really like those quotes at the end...something to really think about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should blog more often, I love your insights.

    ReplyDelete