Invite the missionaries to your home once a month.
As a kid the missionaries were in and out of our house like a revolving door. There is just something about having a person who’s life is dedicated to the Lord 24 hours a day, in your home. So many tid bits of memories are attached to those young men and women who came through our doors…
-Sitting at our piano (probably 11 years old) next to an Elder playing what was probably a beautiful piece of music, and I would hit a key randomly to be a pain. Finally, I assume he had had enough of it because he took my hand and bit my finger! I was shocked into behaving properly and to this day am reminded of just how annoying it is to interrupt a pianist during a song.
-There was a older woman named Sally who lived down the street and back then the missionaries used to live in a room in her house. We loved Sally. She had one of those singing voices where the vibrato is slow and old ladyish. But I loved it. She was thin and had exaggerated facial features and chin length grey hair, but she was an angel. We would hang out at her house (sometimes when no one was home!) and I remember laying on the floor with our feet propped up in the seat of the couch and we would roll silly putty into a ball and throw it against the wall racquetball style. I never pulled any pranks on Sally, but I am pretty sure Shannon was one of the ones who was in on saran wrapping her toilet or filling it with jello…
-Ashley was from England (I believe). I don’t remember too much of what he was like as a missionary serving in our area. But I do remember when he brought his new bride back to the states to visit. They were hilarious. Driving on the wrong side of the road both on accident and for humor. Hanging outside in 50 degree weather in shorts and a t-shirt while we were bundled to our toes. Vanessa (his wife) even took the time to teach Shannon and I to say the name of the longest city. Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch. Yes. We can still say it.
We have had the missionaries in our home on too few occasion. The excuses are many and some are relevant, but I need to work harder at making sure my home is a welcome place to these young men and women who need a meal or a moment.
Thank you for this reminder. :) Also, I'd love to hear you say that city name. Ha.
ReplyDeleteJust recently we have had much contact with the missionaries, including being in our home. What a blessing! I never knew...
ReplyDelete