So, obviously from my previous post you can tell it's been a rough week. I realize now that the storm has passed, how much of the problem was within me. Jason and I had some much needed quiet time together while the kids had a babysitter, and I had a chance to reflect on my parenting strategy as of late. I knew when I woke each morning in recent weeks, that my patience meter was running on low even before the mornings began, but somehow managed to convince myself that it was my children at fault for the way the day turned out.
I feel myself being pulled out of the impatience zone and slowly making my way back to the reality of good parenting. I told Jason tonight that I can tell the overall volume in my house gets louder when I choose to yell at the kids instead of assessing the problem. And I feel as though (and I sure you do too after reading so many posts about it) this is a revolving issue for me, and probably always will be.
Tonight I heard the song Daughters by John Mayer (check my playlist) and it hit me. This is not so much about me. This is so much about these amazing souls whose presence I been blessed with. They deserve the best of the best I can possibly give, each and every moment of each and every day. These are children who will be facing things in thier life that I can't even imagine facing. It is my job to help prepare them for it. Man, it's moments like these that I am so grateful for my Heavenly Father, it makes all of that reponsibility seem do-able and not quite so daunting, knowing you have someone like Him in control of things.
Thursday, June 12, 2008
Be good to your Daughters
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
So well put!
ReplyDeleteGlad I'm not the only one in this boat. Love ya, Jules!
ReplyDeleteYou are doing fine Lu. We are all growing and learning. That is what this life is about. Yes, children need us ~ to love them, hug them, squeeze them, play with them. We also need to set ground rules so they can learn. We, as adults, do make mistakes. What is good, is if we can realize it, learn from it and go on. Heavenly Father sets in place road signs for us, whether thru friends, books, songs, scripture, etc. to learn from. You are a good mom. I love you.
ReplyDeleteAmen, and you are doing a great job. Remember your kids are here to help you grow too.
ReplyDeleteLu I am so glad I am going to be living next to you again soon, especially knowing that I will have someone to go to for questions on how to handle my kids. And then when we both don't know what to do we will just go and pick our own Mom's brain! I can't wait to come home.
ReplyDeleteYou are doing great! The most important part of being a good parent is accepting when you're wrong so that it can be fixed/improved and you are great at that:) That's the part that I have to work on.
ReplyDelete