We knew where she hid them. 3rd shelf up in the cupboard by the fridge. She just never gave us enough it seemed. I can't remember who decided it was a good idea to start sneaking a few extra jelly beans that day, but I can imagine I deserve the brunt of the blame. I'm sure mom knew from the beginning, mom's just seem to see everything. When she called Julie and I into the kitchen we knew we were had. But what came next was pure genius, and seemed a delightful solution to us. She took us to the nice dining room table, sat us down, plopped the entire bag of jelly beans, (which was if I remember correctly, huge) and instructed us to eat them all.
I am sure we must have looked at one another in silence not wanting to disturb the momentary insanity of my mother's choice of discipline. And we began to eat them. I remember requiring, no allowing Julie to eat all of the black ones, since they were the best ones. And somewhere between shoving as many as we could into our mouths, and trying to pass off as many to the other as possible, we realized the brilliance of my mother's plan.
I don't know about Julie, but I couldn't eat jelly beans for years after that day. I learned a valuable lesson. "Don't steal. You'll get way more than you bargained for." And of course, that a mother is all knowing.
I am sure we must have looked at one another in silence not wanting to disturb the momentary insanity of my mother's choice of discipline. And we began to eat them. I remember requiring, no allowing Julie to eat all of the black ones, since they were the best ones. And somewhere between shoving as many as we could into our mouths, and trying to pass off as many to the other as possible, we realized the brilliance of my mother's plan.
I don't know about Julie, but I couldn't eat jelly beans for years after that day. I learned a valuable lesson. "Don't steal. You'll get way more than you bargained for." And of course, that a mother is all knowing.

What a great tactic...smart mother of yours.
ReplyDeleteI would do the same thing. Your mom is so smart. So do you eat them now?
ReplyDeleteI still don't eat them, by the way. I also remember that my dad came to pick me up just about the time we started to realize our fortune wasn't as good as we had originally thought. I was happy to know I had an out, but your mom explained the situation to him and he happily waited until we had completed our "torture". It's hard to explain to someone how jelly beans can be used as a punishment, but it worked!
ReplyDeleteHahahaha! Smart, smart mother! It would be just my luck that if I ever attempted anything like that it would back fire on me and the kids would LOVE it.
ReplyDelete