He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still -Lao-Tzu

Monday, December 1, 2008

House of Order

While I was doing laundry this morning it occurred to me that I enjoy things that are complete. I know, it seems a given. I love when my van is freshly filled with gas. It seems to run better. I love when laundry is done, folded and put into drawers. It makes life in the mornings easier when I know there is nothing missing to complete an outfit.

I remember as a teenager that I was taught that our homes should be in order. It stuck with me. And when I had one, even two children, my house was usually clean. But once I had 3 kids, I found that keeping my house clean was getting to be a bit of a challenge. I'm not gonna tell you that my house is always clean and in order. It's not. But I do understand why we are asked to keep our homes in order. There is harmony and a more peaceful feeling when it is. I just know that when I get up early and get myself ready 'down to the shoes' and 'shine my sink' (fly-lady), my day goes smoother. When my house is clean and things are in order, my brain takes a bon-bon break.

"Establish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God" (Doctrine & Covenants 88:119)

6 comments:

  1. Amen! But, I have never seen you house out of order.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree, this weekend was so crazy and it was nice to get my house back in order. Although, now I have Christmas stuff half done and so it is always a work in progress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my dreams. Even when I think I have made a dent, I look around and there is so much more. I will agree, laundry is a biggie. I suck at it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true! That's a big weakness of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree whole-heartedly. Next time my husband tells me I have OCD, I'm referring him to this post. :-)

    ReplyDelete