Tuesday morning I was doing my friend Laurie's hair, the doorbell rang and I ran to the door mumbling something about the kids locking themselves out again. I flung open the door and standing on my porch was a fully bearded long haired stranger... beneath his whiskers he was smiling. Before I had a chance to feel fear, I felt complete joy! My father in law was standing on my porch. He laughed that wonderful familiar laugh I hear so often in my own home from my sweet husband. The disbelief took a few moments to subside as we hugged and laughed, and I took him outside to see the kids. As soon as I announced grandpa was here, Lainy came running. I can't imagine she recognized him really, since he was all covered in hair, but none the less they embraced as if they were long lost friends. Laurie's son Bo followed suit and Joe got a big hug from him as well. (Thanks Laurie for waiting through all of this!) I called Jason, he didn't answer. We have a rule that if one of us calls the other once, and no answer, then twice right after, there is something important. Second call he answered. I told him he needed to come home. That everyone was alright, but he needed to come right home. (I wish I had sense enough to have grabbed my video camera) When Jason walked into the backyard where the kids were playing picnic with play food, he looked over at me like I was a lunatic. He said something about what was a strange man doing back here with his kids... We stood there a minute more until Jason had a chance to stop and really listen to the conversation going on underneath the slide. He couldn't get a view of the man's face being shielded by the slide. As soon as Jason heard that familiar twang, his head started to whip back and forth between my eyes and what sounded VERY familiar. He was next to his dad in 2 strides and I watched the reunion.
Joe had come to surprise his son for his birthday. It was so fun to have him here and talk and enjoy one another. Thank you so much Joe for your wonderful surprise. My kids sure love you, and miss you already.
Mind waiting?? I thought it was great to witness this whole event. Between your shrills when answering the door to Jason's reaction when he realized who it was, I was happy to get to be a part of it, well, sort of a part of it..lol. I'm glad it was a great visit. Happy Birthday to Jason!
ReplyDeleteHow fun! Where does he live?
ReplyDeletefun surprise, what a great dad to be so thoughtful of his sons birthday.
ReplyDeleteWhat is up with me cryting over every blog I read lately. Yep, shed a few tears over that happy reunion. HAPPY BIRTHDAY JASON!! (I assume you will tell him I said so) =-)
ReplyDeleteWhat a great Surprise!! Man he does look like a mountain man. Looks like you guy's had alot of fun with Dad. How great!!
ReplyDelete