He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still -Lao-Tzu

Monday, May 18, 2009

Survival of the pickiest

I was blessed with a picky eater.  I think it’s punishment.  My poor mom, I’m not sure how I survived most dinnertimes.  I am sure she had to laugh at my talent for disposing of food in creative ways. 

We had these chairs with cane woven bottoms.  And cushions over top of that.  We had mashed potatoes one night when my Grandma was visiting and while she was cleaning up the floor she noticed a pile of worms under a chair.  Upon further investigation I admitted to lifting my cushion and mashing them underneath and through the cane, hence the worms. 

My chair backed up to the stairs,  and under the stairs was open.  Mom used it for stashing things that were in the way.  We didn’t venture back there very often.  So, one night when we had a chicken dish I didn’t care for, I quickly and quietly launched one piece at a time, behind me under the stairs. 

Peas and other small veggies were often wrapped up in a napkin, but most kids have learned that trick by age 3.  I learned how to swallow them whole with a small swig of liquid and continued that for years. 

Pizza.  Oh how I hated the pizza sauce.  (I am sure my sisters are laughing at this point)  You always knew which plate was mine since I would peel up the cheese, wipe off the sauce and sort of wipe it off around the edges of my plate.  As I am writing this, I realize just how big of a pain I was.  Sorry mom.  Revenge is yours in the form of Jayce.

2 comments:

  1. This is so funny! I always found it quite useful to have younger siblings eating in high chairs. I would just chuck my food I didn't want under the table over by the high chair. I wasn't quite as clever as you were, but it seemed to work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word how I remember that. Your plate was disgusting! haha and seeing as how you were blessed with a picky eater, i am sure I will have the same revenge placed upon me Ü

    ReplyDelete