He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still -Lao-Tzu

Friday, November 12, 2010

Pick a chick

Fall Carnival was last weekend and I have three additions to the family.  Chick number one, Beautiful unicorn sparkle bird, and Motorcycley.  Keep in mind we live a bit out of city limits so the festivities fell into the categories of Money Goat (they tied money to a goat and the kids chased it), the Chick chase, and the typical, bounce house, dunk tank, cake walk, etc etc, and the concession stands.   Lainy was all in for the chick chase.  I had to coerce Jared into lining up.  He was not enthusiastic.  I figured I didn’t have much to worry about.  Until they both came giggling and squealing each carrying a wiggling and squeaking chick.  What are the chances?   There were like 30 kids in their group and 6 chicks!  Ok, I figured we could give them away later right?  Then Jayce’s group was up.  The older they got, the more competitive it got.  The chase ended and Jayce was empty handed.  Phew.  But wait!  A chick had escaped.  Through the fence and into the adjacent field.  The kids stood watching it run free it seemed.  Until a kid shimmied up and over said fence and grabbed the fleeing chicka-doo.  My kid.  3 for 3!?  I heard myself sigh loudly as a mother consoled her child walking by empty handed and in tears. 

There was no prying those chickens away after that.   Jayce refused to name his.  (He assumed for a while that we would eventually eat it.)  It’s been a full week.  They still wake every morning with the words can I go see my chick? on their tiny tired lips.  And every afternoon they spend hours playing with them.  I’m getting used to the idea. 

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like fun Julia! You'll be raising chickens and selling eggs in no time. :)Have to take some pictures with their smiling faces though and send them this way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my chickens....you will too!

    ReplyDelete