It's things like this that make me feel all the more inadaquate as a parent. What makes me qualified to teach a child something I have yet to master?
As I watched my children being disciplined for fighting this morning, it was if a light went on and the wheels started churning. We have to stop and regroup our parenting stradegies sometimes. I get in a groove where I find myself saying the same things over and over to my children in response to a bad behavior and of course, since I have to repeat it so many times, it's obviously not productive. I thought to myself, instead of just telling my kids to stop fighting, or yelling at them for yelling, I need to teach them that yes, it is ok to have an arguement or a disagreement with one another. Teach them the things I have learned in my own marrige. To fight fair and argue a true point.
Amen! It seems that when we plan our actions and stop just reacting is when it works out better.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Shannon but boy is it a hard lesson to learn. You figured it out way earlier in your parenting than I did.
ReplyDeleteIt's funny that you have been thinking about this lately, too. I have been trying so hard to explain and teach rather than just react. I am exhausted, but I think it's showing some results. Maybe. Thanks, Jules!
ReplyDeleteI love your inspiring posts! I am contantly evaluating my strategies for Trenton. Every kid is different and he is my hardest one to get to.
ReplyDeleteI am just entering the true parenting of my little man...time to read Christlike Parenting again. It gets harder with the less sleep you get too, huh?! Thanks for the boost Lu!
ReplyDelete