For those of you who know me well enough, it won’t surprise you that this post finds me in trouble because of my all too stubborn and strong willed spirit.
Fortunate or unfortunately (depending on the circumstance) my oldest child has echoed my willfulness. Tonight it came to a head. He lost his temper during a video game, and I responded by taking it away for the evening. His tantrum grew, until he was then grounded for the following day. It was then the battle ensued.
His little hands began to make things fly from the countertops to the floor. It had happened before. Things had been broken. My will began to bubble. And it bubbled over right into his room, where I proceeded to take objects from his shelf and made them fly. (Softly, just enough to teach a lesson) but in the chaos, a much treasured little ceramic heart, just acquired from his Grammy not a week before, hit a bit too hard and broke.
He was rightfully angry, and retaliated in a chaotic vengeful way. Books flew from the bookshelves. I knew I had crossed a line. I quickly found the super glue and tried desperately to glue the broken pieces together. There were a few splinters missing. But it was mended. He came in and seeing it glued back together turned and looked up at me.
I learned one of the most powerful, regretted lessons in that moment when I said to my son, “I'm sorry I broke your heart.” Nothing more was said, and all was forgiven. I knew in that moment that it was mended, but splinters were missing.
great post.
ReplyDeletewow the lessons we learn being a mom, huh? YOur doing a great job Julia!
ReplyDeleteGreat post, Jules!
ReplyDelete