He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still -Lao-Tzu

Sunday, September 21, 2008

The 5 year old in me...

It was my month to conduct primary and senior primary is working on memorizing the 10th article of faith.

We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.

After it was read, I thought I would give the kids a little lesson in pronunciation. I had been practicing this article of faith all week since I was a little shaky on it. "does anyone know how this word is pronounced?" As I pointed to paradisiacal. The response was para-dice-ical. I tried to tell them it was incorrect, but was quickly overrun by every adult in the room. Julia, you know like the word paradise? Just add ical to it! There was no arguing it. I was clearly outnumbered. Well, outnumbered no more!!

1 result for: paradisiacal
par·a·di·si·a·cal /ˌpærədɪˈsaɪəkəl, -ˈzaɪ-/

[par-uh-di-sahy-uh-kuhl, -zahy-]
–adjective
of, like, or befitting paradise.


and my inner child shouts victoriously 'ha ha, I told you so!'

7 comments:

  1. I just mumble through words like that. Aren't we told to be like little children?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julia, I'm with you. Just by looking at the word, you can tell it's not just a matter of adding ical to it. Way to pronounce things!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok whatever. I dare you to neener neener us in primary next week. Really it is a double dog dare.
    I think my biggest problem with this AofF is the horrible music that was written to it. It is torture getting through it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like I missed somthing. I must have stepped out for that because wasn't there for any of that. I say it different than everyone it sounds like. Paradise-cal. Oh well:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i say it like you too. kinda like saying patriarchal right. it is not patriarticle friends. oh well. what can we say. sorry i haven't called you in a bit. pure pregnant Laziness. not that i should justify myself but well i just do sometimes. i love you none the less. lets get together again sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go Julia. That is one of my favorite words. I would have had your back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK I don't even want to admit how long I have sat staring at the computer saying that word... I still don't have it right.. I am with Laurie just mumble through it and be like a child! The Lord knows what is in our hearts right...

    ReplyDelete