He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still -Lao-Tzu

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Wise Nanner

I should begin by dedicating this to my oldest sister.   You might recall a previous post concerning the drama of my oldest child.  After that day I went on a hunt.  A search to find any and all info about parenting and how to 'fix' my child.  Shannon relayed a story that at the time she told me, wasn't very effective in helping me in my quest.  It was when I repeated the story to Jason, I realized it's high 'duh Julia' status.  It was about a mother who fostered a child who had a problem with lying.   Everything this child said or did was a lie or was leading up to a lie.  After 6 months or so, this mother brought the child back to social services and told him that she couldn't handle him anymore.  When asked why, she told him that she couldn't fix him.  The man asked how often the child had lied when he first came to her home.  Everyday. All the time.   And how often does he lie now?  Her answer was once every few weeks.  So often we forget to look at our children's progress since we are so programmed to jump on the misbehaviors.   I am a 'fixer' by nature and forget that a child isn't meant to be fixed, but loved and taught.

4 comments:

  1. I might not always comment, but I am a constant reader. It satisfies my Julia-craving, since we never get to see each other. Miss you, Jules!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is really hard to not "fix" our kids. I am also a fixer and Jake is always telling me to let them learn even if it is harder sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. man I got some things that need to be fixed over here...then i also realize if my attitude was fixed then it wouldnt be so hard to fix my almost three year old. these are why we have these moments though, to learn. wish I would get it the first time though instead of the 20th : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wink! I am learning that it is never about the final product, which usually is perfection, but the little stepping stones they make along the way. It is our job as parents to recognize the progress they make whether it be big or small and celebrate with them each time they do. After all, how many times do we truly have to keep trying over and over ourselves!

    ReplyDelete