It's officially scorpian season in the desert land. I dread this more than the heat. Those creatures that seem to find the seemingly obsolete cracks and crevices and squeeze thier way in to our barefeet riddled home. For those of you who are not familiar with these creatures... they can literally lay flat and squeeze right through a crack you never deemed scorp worthy. They carry thier young on thier backs, so you never dare step on one for fear of infesting your house with the babies. And they climb walls and drop from the ceiling and of course hurt (from what I hear) like something awful. So.... anyone want to come visit?
Seriousy though, I depsise them. And I found my first one today (this year). UNDER MY BED. Still alive and right where I would prefer, if they find enterence. On a sticky trap. Oh, one more little tid bit about these horrible creatures... they can live without food for a loooong time. So, being the caring person I am, I left him there to suffer. While we were building our house here and living in the mobile home we didn't see ANY. 2 years free and clear. But so far since we moved in last year... I found 2 in Jayce's bed, one in my room, and one fell right onto Lainy's face in the middle of the night. And a few cetipedes. Those are gross too.
I should mention the remedies or things we do to prepare, prevent and treat scorpian stings.
- First, black light! We have several, and scorps glow in blacklight.
- Always ALWAYS check your sheets and clothing before adorning them.
- Wear shoes. I am guilty, and know I am going to be punished one of these days for barefooting.
- Lots of people have chickens which seems to help. I think I might just invest in some. I can deal with the poop
- and to treat stings there is something called french green clay a friend gave me and seems to help with the pain.
- Lastly: MOVE This is my plan someday.
Just reading your post I cringe! I must admit I haven't ever had a live one in my house. I have found several dry from being dead so long, oh, and we did have one live centipede in the boys bathroom a few years ago. I think they drwindle as you get more settled and the building and moving of things subsides for the most part:) We don't have earthquakes just fun desert pests to keep us on our toes...
ReplyDeleteI hate those creatures!!!! Thanks for bringing me the green clay it really does work. I wish Thayne would hop on the move band wagon just to get away from those gross bugs, but I don't want to leave our ward it is the best.
ReplyDeleteWow, they glow in blacklight? Tht's interesting. I would be in big trouble, being addicted to bare feet and I think it would do me in to find one in my kids' beds or on a face. Yikes. You are a brave woman!
ReplyDeleteYuck! I am so glad I don't have to worry about those little things anymore. Although out here in Tx we do have wolf spiders, and they are pretty nasty! I found on in our garage when we first moved in. I don't even know what kind of creatures they have in MO, I will have to look that up!
ReplyDeleteOoooooh yuck! Never found one yet. Knock on wood!
ReplyDeleteScorpions, huh? Yikes. So, Julia Stolworthy, is it? How's life? I haven't seen you in about a decade. I hope things are good. Looks like you have three great kids. Feel free to drop on by to The Dougherty Family. Good to see you.
ReplyDeleteOhh! Getting the heebie geebies as I type this. No me gusta scorpions. Guess that's the price to pay for getting beautiful warm weather year round? I'd trade you a few scropions for several months of sucky weather...deal?
ReplyDeleteI have thankfully not had them in the house. I went to take the trash out last summer (bare footed...stupid me) and almost stepped on one. I thought they were supposed to be big and black and obvious. At first glance I thought it was another cricket. Brown and small but then I noticed the tucked up stinger. Yikes! Freaked me out. We caught it and showed it to the kids to let them know what it was and to never touch one if they see it again! Gotta love the desert!
ReplyDelete