Today started out sunny and full of love and laughter. About halfway through the day I found myself yelling, impatient, and just plain mean. You know when your yelling at your kid, and then thier response is a returning yell? And then you yell at them for yelling at you? Yeah, that was me today. Usually about halfway through the second round of 'yelling because your yelling' , I realize what I am doing and of course, apologize or laugh in realization. My rule for my kids has always been that they are entitled to speak to me with the same amount of respect I speak to them. It's intelligent in theory, but the reality of it makes me crazy. It teaches me to keep myself in check, and to control my temper and emotions. I am reminded of a chapter in one of my most read books on parenting (Christlike Parenting by Dr Glenn Latham) The chapter called 'Revile not.' It's time to delve back into this book I assume. It talks about Christ and how he was treated, and yet he never was one to strike back. What a supreme example! In the face of mockery and rejection, even to the very end when he was crucified. He reviled not.
Anger is not an emotion that has to be within us. Obviously, I am lacking in that department, but I am learning that we have control over what we feel, and how we choose to direct it. I think it is time for me to crack open that book and re evaluate my ability to parent. And to all of those who might be reading this, This book has changed my life. It has changed my marriage. I strongly suggest you invest in it.
Tuesday, April 1, 2008
Why am I so mean?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
ok this is like the 3rd time you have told me about his book and I still have not bought it. I sure could have used that chapter today with TJ. Thanks for the reminder.
ReplyDeleteAaaaah! How could you possibly know that this has been my day?! I have been soo unrepentantly impatient and annoyed with Declan all day! Thank you for giving me a shot in the arm, or a kick in the bum, whichever. You're the best!
ReplyDeleteI want and 'need' the book!
ReplyDeleteIt IS the coolest book and yes, it will change your perspective on parenting. I love it. Thanks Jule for the reminder.
ReplyDeleteI totally need to read that book! I bought it right after you told me about it sevreal months ago, but I have yet to read it. Thaks for the reminder:)
ReplyDeleteHey Julia, love your blog. Gonna have to get some "howto's" from you. Had to tell you that I loved that song "holla back girl" too. I had it on my MP3 until my girls' jaws dropped and they chastized me about inappropriate music. who knew?
ReplyDeleteI will be purchasing that book very soon I am sure!
ReplyDelete