He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still -Lao-Tzu

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Queen B

I am the Queen of the B word. ha ha, not that B word. I mean Budgeting! As much as most people have a bad taste in their mouth after even saying this word, I love it! I love the organization behind it, and I love the challenge it sometimes presents. Ok, ok. I don't love that I have to budget out of necessity, but there are good things to speak of. Like a grocery store high! I know some of you have experienced this. I am an avid couponer and have just recently delved back into it full force (This is the coupon site I use)

So this month we had to pay for Jason's classes and books for next semester. I decided instead of transfering the money over from my savings account I would try and 'squeeze budget'. A chance to live off my food storage! Some of it at least. I think because it was a 'let's see if I can actually do this' situation, I saw it as a challenge, and was a little bit excited to try! We drank Gossner milk all week, (which my children actually prefer to regular milk) made cookies for snacks, and I had such a huge stock of pretty much everything I needed, that we didn't have a lot of want for anything. Each time the account got down into the single digits (yes, like under $10 scary!) I had a haircut call to schedule, or a color client that would boost us back up into safe mode.

There are a lot of things I fall short of in the gospel, but the one thing I have never struggled to understand or obey, is the law of tithing. Truly it has been a blessing and I have been part of countless times when things work out in a way that seemed humanly impossible. We have been given blessings that would otherwise not have been ours had we not been diligent in this commandment. And this week is no exception. Small and simple things became evident as I watched closely. Hair clients popping at the right time, that spice I needed happened to be on clearance and I had a coupon, my grocery bill being $4 under what I had in the account, hitting every green light on the way home... Ok, so the green lights is pushing it, but I was on a grocery store high, I took it as a little extra gift.

Someday when I am rich and famous, probably not famous, or even rich for that matter, but someday when money isn't as tight and I don't have to 'squeeze budget' I think I will still enjoy getting the best deals, going to get that grocery store high, coming home with a cartful of groceries that I paid pennies for, yard 'sailing', and repainting something cuz sometimes it just needs a fresh start.

2 comments:

  1. This was a great blog! Thanks for sharing. I too love to budget, I just don't like to stay within it! And, Amen on tithing truly something I can never skip for fear of the blessings we would be missing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You never cease to amaze me. I keep saying I'm going to try something like that, but then I chicken out. I totally should. Hey, I found a place to order that milk if you need more.

    ReplyDelete