I have tried and failed so many times trying to 'equalize' chores, timeouts, rewards, and discipline between a 2, 4 and 6 year old. In having a chat with my 6 year old today, a few things came out of my mouth that I think are noteworthy. When he asked, "Why do I have to clean it all by myself? They played with it too." I started to tell him because I said so, and took a different approach.
"You're 6, he's 2. Your chores, and expectations match your age. It seems unfair, but you just happened to be born first, so you get to the hard chores first. When he is 6 he will do them too."
Next, in chatting with him about his attitude, which was significantly nasty this morning, I told him he would have to earn his privileges. He nodded, and I realized, why would a 6 year old know what earning a privilege is? So, in effort to explain it simply to him I said, "You gotta do good things to get good things." Genius I know. Such is life.
You are such a good mom.
ReplyDeleteOldest = more fun stuff AND more chores. !!
ReplyDeleteSuch a hard concept. Wait till the good stuff comes and Lainy starts to whine about Jayce getting EVERYTHING!
ReplyDeleteI have a 9 year old that does the same thing and we have the same talks-he tends to need to hear it numerous times:)
ReplyDelete