He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still -Lao-Tzu

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Team Spirit

Bus driver number 2 got a perm.  Everyday we see the same cars drive by, the same bus drivers stop and go, as we race to beat them before they turn in front of us, and cause an extra 4 minutes of stop and go driving to school.   We passed as we always do, bus driver #2.   Whoa.  She got a perm in her already very red, very curly hair.   The front window in a bus is pretty big, and she filled up her half pretty well.  

I like to watch people.   To wonder what goes on in their lives.  What caused her to perm her hair?  WHAT was her hairdresser thinking?  Does her husband like curly hair?   And then I thought,  hmm,  wondering sure is a quiet sneaky way to judge people.   I'm not judging, am I?  

We play this game in our family called "Your team".  Usually we find ourselves playing it in places like the airport, or the zoo.   We take turns picking people from the crowds and placing them on our imaginary team roster.   People like a boy with sparkly purple hair and wearing what looks to be shredded clothing, would quickly be called out 'your team'!   Or a woman (quite possibly a man) so muscle bound you find yourself flexing, is dubbed 'my team'!   Yes, even my mother finds herself sucked into this game.   Now, tell me, is this judging?   How can something so fun be a bad thing?

9 comments:

  1. I hate to admit that you got me playing this game with Thayne when we are out. It gets me laughing so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard about this game until today. I will have to give it a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Done! Justin and I are going to begin this game the next time we go to San Francisco. If we played it in Santa Cruz, everyone would be on "your team"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's TOTALLY judging. I love it!!

    And seriously, curly red haired perm lady, what gives?! You should leave a business card on her bus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are only judging if you place yourself above or below them in the sight of God, noticing people is totally fine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a vivid picture of the perm lady! Wait is that my kids bus driver? Just kidding. I am a people watcher too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun game... I think I might have to start playing

    ReplyDelete
  8. My brothers and I play the same game, but we call it "Your Future."

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wonder which team I have been chosen for? I shudder to think... oh well

    ReplyDelete