He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still -Lao-Tzu

Friday, January 16, 2009

Clearanced out.

Why is it when we get a compliment, whether it is about what we are wearing, how it looks or something in my house, that I choose to cheapen it?

'Your hair looks so good like that.'

'Ugh, really? But it needs a trim so bad.'

Or...

'I love the new pictures frames in here.'

'Thanks, but I just repainted them, it really didn't cost much. I guess they're ok.

Or...

'You look so skinny!'

'I am SO not. I just know how to hide it.'

I am fully aware the correct response should be....

THANK YOU.  

But why do we do this? Self esteem?  Not wanting to sound prideful?  Think about this, if you said any one of these things to someone else and they replied with a thank you, and all you needed to say was your welcome, would that be so bad?

7 comments:

  1. Oh man, I do that all the time. Thanks for pointing that out. I am going to try for just a simple "thank you."

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just talked about this the other day....it is strange how we do that. I do it with everyting too - even with food I make! good reminder Lu - thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm half way there. Depending on the day. We have been working on getting our kids to just say thanks instead of things like "i know". It's rubbed off a little, but I think the natural urge is to shake it off somehow. I know I like it better when people say "Thanks!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really do like the pictures in your kitchen.

    I totally know what you mean and Teri C never lets me get away with it. She always makes me say thank you. Something she is teaching me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are not alone. It drives Matt crazy that I can't accept a compliment. Thanks for the encouragement to do better...that's why you are my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Someone once told me that if you excuse away a compliment, you're basically calling the other person a liar (and offending them in some small way for absurdly thinking your hair is cute/ your house looke nice/etc.) It you look at it like that, it helps a little - takes the pride issue away and puts the focus back on the other person.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do it all the time. We should all just try to take the compliments as they come and not try to pick them apart. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete