He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still -Lao-Tzu

Friday, January 16, 2009

Impulse v logic

I realized this morning I am an impulsive thinker.   Anything that enters my mind has to be done now, or I forget or lose interest.  If you have been my friend long enough, you have experienced this in some way. 

  1. I need to talk to Jason about the seat belt being broken in the back seat.  I choose to call him now while I have 6 crazy chatty children in the car with me.  Why didn't I wait until I dropped off four of them 5 minutes later at school to call?  
  2. I want to sell my house.  Today.  Tomorrow comes, and after I have spent the day before, cleaning my house for pictures and got my real estate agent all riled up for the race, I change my mind. 
  3. I take 4 trips of a half hour each into town in 4 days instead of thinking planning and preparing and going once.  
  4. I have started potty training Jared 3 times, only to realize after a whole day of it that tomorrow I am working all day and won't have the time to do it. 

Well, this week I made a goal.  To think more like Jason does.  Slowly and deliberately.   His decisions are always executed so well.  Today I waited to make that phone call until I knew I would have peace,  Jared is 5 days in on potty training and doing really well, I am NOT selling my house, and going into town just hasn't crossed my mind yet.

3 comments:

  1. I think we as women have our mind in so many different places that it comes to us naturally. I do the same thing and when I call Jake to tell him about something he will say can this wait till I get home and yes maybe it can but will I remember it then!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, I was reading about myself! Definitely a goal to not be so impatient and impulsive. Sometimes I think it's a great quality, but not always! Ya know how I always call you for hair cuts..right now...Yeah, same thing.

    ReplyDelete