Even 5 days after returning home from girls camp I am still nearly dreading posting. I just haven't organized my thoughts enough to write them down. So, it will be a mess of information I assume.
Firm as the mountains around us
Oh to be a teenager again and feel like you are close to being firm as the mountains. Don't get me wrong, I DO NOT want to be a teenager again. I had my fair share. But as an adult I have found that I am mature enough to realize just how far I am from being as firm as the mountains around me. It is daunting some days.
You know when you play things out in head before you doing something and expect it to turn out just so? And so I pictured my first experience as a leader at girls camp. Not quite what I have envisioned. What I had failed to put into my picture was that I am now 28 and not 15. I had rules to enforce (or break) an example to set, and girls to watch over.
I simply want to list the things that took place and maybe a little blurb about my personal experience with it:
Classes
- Writing - Plethora of info that I will continue to use on the years to come. Inspiring.
- Great people thru history
- Confidence
- Public Speaking - I could have used that as a teenager, better late than never.
- Hostess - They showed us how to throw a dinner party. SERIOUSLY?? Waste of my time.
- First aid - I ditched because I fell asleep in the class before it
- Archery - Very cool to watch the girls take something that seemed daunting to me and nearly master it.
- Scriptures - I missed half of it trying to round up my girls
- Night sky - star gazing, and again, I fell asleep. In my defense it was 10:30 pm by the time they started.
- Drama - LOVED this one. Denise taught it and my favorite was 'la la laing" Am I right Heather?
Several traditions I was unaware of:
- Singing Trees - Each ward finds a tree once it gets dark, and one by one each ward turns on their flashlights up towards the tops of the tree illuminating it and sweetly singing a hymn, and finishes by shutting off their flashlights and the next ward begins. Very serene moment.
- Weird camp songs - Boogaloo - Hey Burrito - Princess Pat - and whatever the food song was they they seemed to sing each and every morning before breakfast. Mash potato mash mash potato...
- The amazing food that caused me to gain 3 pounds even when hiking to and from a cabin on a hill each day.
- A CABIN to sleep in! That's a tradition I am in for!
- Buses to shuttle you to and from home. And watching a movie all the while!
Best thing(s) about camp-
- Heather
- Shantell
- Laura
I love my 4th year girls that I was a cabin mom to, and no one can top the girls from our ward, but I think the Lord wanted me to know I had friends. And these three women made this girls camp the most memorable for me. So, thank you.
I never saw you sleep so I don't know how you slipped off to do that much sleeping. You were so great up there with the girls and I loved having you up there to hang out with. We had a good group of women and girls.
ReplyDeleteAnd, your playback of lalalala. is histarical. Seriously a ward talent night to do.
'Singing Trees' is one of my favorite things about girls camp here.
ReplyDeleteI love the singing trees idea. Camp is such a diffrent experience as a leader, isn't it? I had no clue what I was in for either.
ReplyDelete