He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still -Lao-Tzu

Saturday, July 5, 2008

Valor, Purity, and Justice

I LOVE the 4th of July. I love the excitment, the patriotism, and I love our country. We headed up to Payson this year to celebrate with a few friends.


The men got a game of football going, and the boys played catch, but also take a look at the sky...

They had three legged, crab, and sack races. Jayce found a buddy for the day and they had a great time. Again, the sky is still friendly...

Ahhh, the tug of war! This one was fun to watch. The kids were all pulling with all their little might, and yet when you look the officer in the picture, the kids look more like they are just kindof hanging on. The sky has begun to darken by this point. It was about this time in the afternoon that some of the kids from my ward recuited me into thier water fight... I was soaked before the rain even hit. And very very cold.



Can you see the little river of water behind Shelley and Jared? Glade so nicely pointed out as we rested in our little canopy, that we had a river headed stright for us... We of course picked up our already drenched belongings and everyone helped move us over out of water's way.


A few minutes later, as we all stood, since our chairs were all soaked, we noticed yet another small stream headed perpendicular to the first and yes, it was planning on intercepting our temporary place of residence yet again. We moved again.

At this point, I had succumed to the contstant "can we PLEASE play in the water mom?" and all three of my children were running gleefully through the water. So now, nearing 6 pm the rain was beginning to subside and we had 3 more hours, with no dry clothes, or even chairs to sit on, to wait for the fireworks. I threw in the soaking wet towel, we packed and went home.

We caught some fireworks from our porch and went to bed! Definitely a memorable 4th!

6 comments:

  1. I think I could have been a better sport during all of this. But it was a fun day when you look back on it! We will never forget it, thats for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a blast. Darn you should have stayed home and went to Schnepf's with us. We saw the storm coming but it went around us and the fireworks were fabulous. Next year you come with me, got it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wet or not, it looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was what our solstice celebration was like, except at the beach and with lightning. What is with the weather?! We didn't have fireworks either this year, but that's a whole post in itself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Didn't know you were in Payson...we were driving down to Ephraim last weekend...we probably passed eachother on the road! Sorry you got bombed with rain. It's better than the 99 degree weather we had!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you came, rain or not, I thought it was tons of fun. You seemed to be a good sport about the whole thing!

    ReplyDelete