Very near the top of my pet peeves list is 'one upping' a story. I am guilty myself, but am consciously working on being a better listener. I believe it starts around the time you have children... the my kid walked first race, keeping track of the teething timer, if your kid can do it mine can too. It continues on into adulthood, but with varying circumstances. Envy and a lack of self esteem are my drugs of choice when I have fallen into this habit. Some people get so caught up in it you can almost tell they aren't even listening to your story, they're just waiting until you finish your sentence so they can start their competing story. Please, please don't ever finish listening to someone and say, "well, if you think that's good, listen to this." Or... "I have a better one..." Don't you want to respond, 'Well, thank you for letting me waste your time.' I love Brian Regan.
Sunday, January 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I love this segment of Brian Regan. Hilarious!
ReplyDeleteI love him. He is the best!
ReplyDeleteFunny stuff Julia, although I have to admit I do that occasionally but not because of "one upping", but out of "me too-ness". Is that different??..lol
ReplyDeletevery funny. I am guilty as most but like you have kept it a priority to not do, but I am sure I slip at times and don't even know it.
ReplyDeleteI have an even bigger pet peeve...
ReplyDeleteJust kidding. :-)
You were just telling me about this post the other night. I love this bit that he does. And now when I am in conversations I make a consious effert to not be a Me Monster.
ReplyDeleteBrian Regan = best. I love him more.
ReplyDeleteWhen I first saw this I thought I would pee my pants it was soooo funny!
ReplyDelete