He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still -Lao-Tzu

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Musically uninclined

I have always wondered why I was blessed with the heart of a musician and lack the talent. Clarinet was as far I got in Jr high school, and I think more noise came from my mouth in complaint to my instructor, than ever came from the intrument itself. But I didn't love the music that came from that room we practiced in.

  • Music has the ability to inspire or break down.
  • To cause tears, or bring on fight and fury.
  • I love that when I am running and I feel as though my body has nothing left, and when I hear the beginning of the best Rocky song ever, that my body feels rejuvinated and I begin to pick up speed.
  • Hearing children in Primary sing, often makes me feel as close to heaven as mortally possible.
  • My kids know that when mom's blog music comes on and is turned up, it is time to DANCE!
  • Jon Schmidt inspires me to buy a piano
  • Gwen Stefani (although inappropriate at times!) bring out my younger days and reminds me, I am only 28!
  • Andrea Bocelli is the beginning of my passion for the opera

So many songs have a label attached for me.

  • Lonestar- Don't want to miss a thing, this was the song Jason had me listen to when he first wanted me to know how he felt about us.
  • Particle Man - Marsha Prophet
  • Rocky- ha ha- Leading a symphony a top my bed in high school with this music blaring and Alaina Voss by my side
  • Air supply- so many old boyfriends...
  • Women at the Well- A life changing fireside where this was enacted
  • Dave Matthews- Jenn and Justin Hambly
  • Come original- Scottie Williams (if you knew him, he wasn't a wild singer, but he ROCKED out to this song!)
  • Hollaback Girl- this is a recent memory made. I had never actually heard anything but the chorus, and Lainy quickly came to love it. It was brought to my attention that it is not a very nice song! But I will forever remember it in this light!

I am truly grateful we have a Heavely Father who shows us the importance of music, and what it can do for our soul.

6 comments:

  1. Yeah, the Sequoia band room was about as uninspiring, musically, as you can get. Mr. Nordal would scare the music out of anyone. It's so funny that you associate DMB with us. His song Two Step is one of our absolute favorites. Keep enjoying the music. And be glad your dad isn't the most musical person in the world, like mine. Talk about inadequacy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you. I always wanted to be a great musician and singer since I was little. I never like to practic-I just wanted to be great! Unfortunately, I was always found lacking. Music has the ability to move me more than anything else...LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! Wow, I can't believe you have three kids!! How old are they? I see you little one has joined the marker gang. It's so fun to find more people I know in the blog world. Talk to you later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How come some people like you and Shannon can have these testimony blogs and i just talk about B.O. and crap like that. I think my blog needs a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, that must be what you need Justin, a blog blessing.

    And Yenn, good call- Mr Nordal was one of my least favorite people EVER.

    Gena, You ARE great!

    Davianne! Glad you could make it! Kids are 5 3 and 1- and all of my kids have been intiated into the marker gang I believe... and it breaks my heart... Ü

    ReplyDelete