"It is in the home that our behavior is the most significant. It is the place where our actions have the greatest impact, for good or ill. Sometimes we are so much 'at home' that we no longer guard or words. We forget simple civility. If we are not on guard, we can fall into the habit of criticizing one another, losing our tempers, or behaving selfishly. Because they love us, our spouses and children may be quick to forgive, but they often carry away in silence unseen injuries and unspoken heartache... When we feel anger or contention in our homes, we should immediately recognise what power has taken control of our lives and what Satan is endeavoring to accomplish. Solomon provided us with this wise formula: ' A soft answer turneth away wrath; but grievous words stir up anger.' (Prov. 15:1) Our home should be a refuge where each member feels safe, secure, loved, and insulated from harsh criticism and contention that we so often encounter in the world."
I have no idea where I got this from, but I found it in my 'keepsakes' file and want my children to know how important it is to work on creating harmony in our homes and our lives. I have learned from experience in watching the atmosphere in my home change dramatically as I paid attention to what I was saying and how I was saying it, to my children. I am so sorry to them for the times I didn't work hard enough to choose my actions and words more carefully. I pray that our home will always be a safe, secure and loving home.
Wednesday, November 12, 2008
Simple civility
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I love it! And it's so true. So many things we know we should do seem so easy. But in the day to day, moment to moment, it's SO easy to forget.
ReplyDeleteI am waiting for your post that teaches my husband how to guard his words at home and in public. Ok I might need it too.
ReplyDeleteK so I totally thought you wrote that while I was reading it. I do love that Lu. Thanks
ReplyDelete