He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still -Lao-Tzu

Friday, November 28, 2008

Turkey trotting

Ah, there was no trotting done this day with the exception maybe of Rhett. I ran my very first (yes, there will be more) 10K! 6.2 miles and it was awesome. There is nothing like running shoulder to shoulder with a few thousand people and feeling the adrenaline all around you. Thank you Laurie and Glade for the invite to join your family in this event! I will say I did better than I anticipated, coming in 555th out 2,141 people. Thanks Laurie for posting all the times on your blog... Saved some time! Here are the times of those who ran from our ward. Holy cow Jake.

Jake - 47:06
Rhett - 1:01:05
Julia - 1:01:32
Nick - 1:02:28
Glade - 1:03:16
Laurie - 1:10:35
Stephen - 1:16:50
Sammy - 1:17:16
Brett - 1:23:19
I found Rhett (10 years old) around mile 3, and we stayed somewhat near one another for the remainder of the race. This kid was part of the reason I kept the pace I did. Weaving in and out of the orange cones together, running backwards, and just having a friendly face to keep me going. He would sprint ahead a few hundred yards and then walk and when he saw me catching up he would take off again. There was a moment around mile number 5, when I looked up between the sweat, and saw Rhett skipping along the sidewalk, and just as I saw him, a man who had to be at least 95 came 'trotting' along in his blue sweat suit and sweat band, right past me. So off I went again!

4 comments:

  1. That is so fun. Next year I am there. You guys did awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright, alright- I will start running. I can only dream of keeping up with you though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did so great! Rhett is a little stinkhead. I told him he needs to actually try next year and he could probably get a medal. Nice picture...sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay!! Ok I need to get back into my routine. Thanksgiving break is over, I am getting back on track! I am so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete