He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still -Lao-Tzu

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Toy tactics

Here's what I've learned about getting free time when you need it.

Always pack and put away at least half of your kids toys. Put them in reasonably small boxes. A few months pass by and you find yourself in desperate need of some free time. Pull out one of those boxes and your children will feel like it's Christmas. I like to put them with the box in a bedroom where you can shut the door so the kids aren't distracted by you having your alone time.

Tactic #2- Tell the children that certain things are off limits. For me it's my hair supplies. That room is off limits. It remains locked. Once in a while when I need quiet time, I pull something spectacular from my forbidden room. For some reason, they love whatever they aren't usually allowed to have. I make sure to let them know just how lucky they are to be playing with whatever it is.







7 comments:

  1. Great idea! Tanner found some toys that had been in the closet, I didnt put them there but anyway they were played with for 3 days straight. That is so cute of them loving the curlers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you were to give them a bag of those for christmas, would they still love them? Kids are so weird!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so fun. I am all for that. Does it work for a 16 year old?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome tactics! Maybe this is why I'm so obsessed with Egg Nog...it's the allure of the forbidden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will have to log that away for future use. I love the pics! Your little girls blue eyes are killer! Can't see the others but I am sure they are the same.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the pictures! So funny. My sister does that with her kids toys too. I should start doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember playing with my mom's perm rods when I was little. So fun with the forbidden toys:)

    ReplyDelete